Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Enduring Temptation; Crown of Life Promised.

James 1:12.
First I want to say, that after my discussion last week on "Which rocking chair are we in" I did go through a temptation. The temptation was to do with money. James must have wrote about temptations with the biggest temptation of all in mind, MONEY!
In philipians 4:11 (2nd half) "for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content"
Prayer: OH LORD, keep us from temptation and help us to be content with what we have.
James 1:12.
12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him
Vs 12. "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation...."
First I believe the word "man" refers to everyone ie, Man, Woman, and children from the age of understanding. Blessed, is to be "endowed, favoured,fortunate, glorious, golden, happy, holy, saved". although as a young child, I was tought that blessed was "Happy" I like the words "favoured and saved"
So, I am favoured of God and I am Save by God, because, He sent his son to die on the cross for me and save me from sin and hell. Jesus went willingly. He had the choice of calling thousands of angels to destroy the world and set himself free.
Because I am favoured and saved ie, blessed. We are favoured when we endure temptation. Here is the favour:
Vs 12.(cont) "....For when he is tried..." Or when it is over. When we have endured ie, seen our temptations to the end of it, what we have are or have been through. After it is finished:
Vs 12. "...He (or we) shall receive the crown of life...." Wow"!
Jamieson, Fausett and Brown (Commentary Puts it like this
The crown--
Not in allusion to the crown or garland given to winners in the games; for this, though a natural allusion for Paul in writing to the heathen, among whom such games existed, would be less appropriate for James in addressing the Jewish Christians, who regarded Gentile usages with aversion.
of life--"life" constitutes the crown, literally, the life, the only true life, the highest and eternal life. The crown implies a kingdom.
Vs 12.(cont)".....Which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Folks If we love Him. Then we must endure Many temptations. There is not only a place for us, but also a crown ready for those that endure temptations.
Have you read this bit below before. Read it again as I put verse three with verse 12
James 1:3 The bible says: "that the trying of your faith worketh patience." Wait a minute James. Are you telling me that this horific thing that has happened to me is trying my patience" I ask. Isn't this what we think from the natural being we are? Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Let us continue to verse three: "But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire wanting nothing." Let me try to put it together: we should be joyful through our many trials, so that patience can have a perfect work in us, and as we are patient and the work in us is perfected, then we are not going to lack anything entirely.
Many Christians seem to get bitter or upset by what is happening today. Noone says that we need to be not human. But as Christians we need to have that assurity of expectation that the waiting on the Lord is going to reveal His purpose. Some things we are not going to know this side of heaven, But is that not a great expectation that we can look for?
What am I adding in verse twelve?
it is the very fact that by enduring temptation, (of which I believe that every Christian will.)
Because we love Him, we are going to receive the crown of life.
Prayer: Oh Lord help us to endure temptation, because I know we will receive a "crown of life" AMEN!
Philip Barrington
KJV

No comments:

Total Pageviews

skype

Add me to Skype