Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Faith Without Works is Dead. What does it Really mean. James 2:14-20

14. What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15. If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16. And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?
17. Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
19. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

It is often quoted by many christians; that faith without works is dead; but what does it really mean?

V14. What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

James here asks the same question. "Can faith save him?"
Let us see how James deals with this question.
V15. If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Here James gives an example of a "brother or sister" being without food or clothing or both. This can be your natural brother or sister or one that knows Christ as their own personal Saviour. Though a person has faith and nothing is done then faith alone is not going to save that person.
The attitude from us; sometimes that God is teaching him or her or them something; is clearly not here in James. I know from personal experience; when I was helped; that my faith and encouragement in Christ was much more firm.
So if we say to ourselves what is said in the next verse; verse 16. The result is NO PROFIT; I would say not to any one.
V16. And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?
V17. Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
So is it not of any suprise that James says what he says in verse 17. He basicly says if we do not put anything to our faith; IT IS DEAD and IT IS ALONE.
V18. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
Chuck Smith say's it like this:
"So it isn't just the declaration. It's the declaration that has something behind it. The proof behind it is the works that I do. Now the works don't save me. They only prove that I have saving faith. And if I don't have works that are corresponding to what I am declaring, then I do not have saving faith, just the declaration, the verbal affirmation isn't enough and it won't do it.
Now a lot of people made mistakes; going forward and saying the sinner's prayer and then going away and living the same kind of life doing the same kind of thing. They say, "Oh yeah, I was saved. I went forward and I said the sinner's prayer." No, no, the sinner's prayer isn't going to save you. It is a living faith in Jesus Christ that brings about actual changes in your life and the proof is in the works; the proof of your faith. Your works have to be in accordance, in harmony with what you are declaring to be true."
V19. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Chuck Smith says this about verse 19
"Oh, I believe in God." Big deal. Who doesn't, except some fool? The Bible says the fool is the one that says there is no God. So you say you believe in God, it only proves one thing, you're not a fool. But it doesn't save you. The devils believe in God, they probably believe more firmly in Him than you do. They said to Jesus, "We know who you are, you're the Holy One of God" (Mark 1:24). So you say, "Oh I believe Jesus is the holy One of God." So what? Have you submitted your life to His lordship? Are you doing His works? Are you obeying His commands?
You see, not all who say, Lord, Lord, are going to enter the kingdom of heaven. So you say, "Oh Lord, Oh the Lord, Oh the Lord," yea, yea, but saying is not going to do it. Jesus said, "not all who say, Lord, Lord, are going to enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of the Father" (Matthew 7:21). James is telling you the very same thing. It isn't saying I have faith, it is demonstrating the faith because of the works of my life are in harmony with what I am declaring that I believe.
V20. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
This means that the faith is only "see I have it" "I have faith" ie this is vain talking and maybe a spirital heart condition; then your faith; your works; is not alive. It is not living. And it is sure not saving faith.
I encouraage all let us have a living faith. One that demonstates a Faith in our hearts and a work to carry it out; in faith. They are inseperable.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

skype

Add me to Skype